Saturday, March 20, 2010

Staying Power

I'm sitting here watching "Julie & Julia" (for the second time), and I'm just thinking how incredible Meryl Streep is. I still vividly remember the first time I saw her - in "The Deer Hunter." A few months ago, I watched "Mamma Mia!" for the first time. Who knew she could sing? I thought for sure the producers would have done a "Marnie Nixon" with her, but she was fantastic. (Of course, Pierce Brosnan was an odd choice - he can barely act, much less sing, and Daniel Craig has made us all but forget his go at being Bond.)

Several weeks ago, another lady was attempting a comeback of sorts - Whitney Houston. A great example of a very talented woman who, unfortunately, made some very lousy choices in her life, the worst being her choice of "husband." Hearing her sing brings tears to my eyes. Tears of sadness for what could have been - what should have been.

Julie & Julia just makes me think of Meryl & Whitney. An incredible example of the difference between making wise choices versus making self-destructive ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment